Makin' Babies


I am ashamed to say I was party to some very ugly food making two weekends ago. But I did it to show my love for a friend, so that somehow makes it okay. The photos and write-up are on the collective blog: Marzipan Infants and Sushi Cupcakes
My baby is the one squished into the eggshell.
The sushi cupcakes came out adorable, but we just followed directions from Clare Crespo and so outside of the marzipan wasabi and ginger and roe which we invented ourselves, there wasn't much creativity involved. Just the skill of being good at cutting fruit rollups and spreading frosting. On the other hand, the marzipan infants turned out terrifying and disgusting, and the thought that I created such a thing with my own hands makes me nervous. But I am also actually quite proud and surprised at my ability to just pick up a mound of marzipan and sculpt a baby lifelike enough to make you uncomfortable. And without any prior knowledge of the medium. So uncannily enough, I find myself with a mother's pride in her ugly ugly baby.
I wonder if I should give her a name...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home